Raymond Loretan, former Swiss ambassador and active member of numerous boards shares his insights on the competencies required as a board member and board president, emphasizing the importance of independence, listening, and representing diverse viewpoints.
As a board chairman, Raymond Loretan, highlights the need to balance the interests of shareholders with the long-term vision of the company, acting as a mediator and negotiator to reach decisions that align with common interests.
Drawing from his international experience as a diplomat and ambassador, he emphasizes the value of a global perspective, the ability to negotiate with different mentalities, and the importance of finding common ground and respect for minorities.
What You’ll Learn from this episode:
- Learn about the important skills needed for leadership in politics and on boards.
- Find out the key role of a board chairman in balancing what shareholders want with the company’s long-term plans, and how they actively help resolve disagreements to make decisions that benefit everyone.
- Gain insights into why learning from international experience is crucial for leadership and how it directly influences both politics and corporate governance.
- 00:24 – Meet Raymond Loretan, a diplomat turned politician and board member, as he shares a brief overview of his diverse background and holistic approach to life.
- 00:51 – Competencies for board members and politicians
- 02:15 – The value of diverse perspectives on boards
- 02:48 – Balancing shareholder interests and long-term vision
- 03:08 – Influences on monsieur raymond Loretan’s career:
- 04:30 – The impact of international experience on leadership
- 05:57 – The future of media and public broadcasting
- 07:26 – Challenges for Switzerland
- 08:22 -Tips for young leaders encouraging them to be leaders of themselves, know what they want, take risks, and step out of their comfort zones.
Connect with Raymond Loretan:
More Impactful Episodes at https://mkbconseil.ch/eil-podcast/
Problems of an international leader answered in this episode:
In this episode, Raymond Loretan, who has extensive experience as a Swiss ambassador and leader on various boards, discusses the challenges and competencies required for leadership in politics and on boards. Some of the problems of an international leader that are addressed in this episode include:
- Balancing different viewpoints: As a member of the board, it is important to be independent, have your own opinion, and be able to defend your point even if the majority is against you.
- Mediating and negotiating: The role of a board chairman involves facilitating discussions, negotiating between different parties, and ultimately making decisions that lead the way for the board.
- Understanding different cultural perspectives: Loretan emphasizes the importance of having international experience, as it provides a global view of life and business. It helps leaders understand that different parts of the world have different approaches to values and viewpoints.
- Adapting to the changing media landscape: Loretan’s experience as the president of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation highlights the challenges faced by public broadcasting in the era of globalization and digital media. Public broadcasters need to transform their traditional broadcasting methods to adapt to the digital society and collaborate with private actors in the broadcasting field. They also need to navigate the tension between public broadcasting and publishers in the online space.
- Managing the impact of foreign resources: Loretan mentions that a large part of Switzerland’s success is due to the contributions of foreigners. The challenge for Switzerland is to remain open to foreign resources and find satisfactory solutions, such as the free movement of persons with the European Union, to maintain its economic success.
Navigating the Complexities of Leadership in Politics: Insights from Ambassador Raymond Loretan
Leadership in politics is a multifaceted and challenging endeavor that requires individuals to possess a unique set of skills and competencies.
In this episode, we delve into the world of politics and leadership on boards with the esteemed Monsieur Raymond Loretan, a former Swiss ambassador in New York and Singapore. With his extensive experience in both politics and board memberships, Loretan provides valuable insights into the competencies required for effective leadership in these domains.
Embracing a Holistic Approach to Life
Loretan describes himself as a diplomat who ventured beyond his comfort zone into politics and the economy. This holistic approach to life allows leaders to gain a broader perspective and understand the interconnectedness of various aspects of society. By embracing diverse experiences, leaders can bring a well-rounded viewpoint to their decision-making processes.
Competencies for Board Membership
As a member of a board, Loretan emphasizes the importance of independence, having one’s own opinion, and the ability to listen and defend one’s point of view. He highlights the significance of representing not only majority shareholders but also considering the interests of minority shareholders. Effective board members must be able to contribute their unique competencies and respect different points of view within the team.
The Role of a Board President:
Loretan explains that as a board president, one must possess exceptional listening skills and provide a platform for all board members to express themselves. The ability to summarize discussions and make informed decisions is crucial. A board president must lead the way, ensuring that the interests of shareholders align with the long-term vision of the company, even when faced with conflicting viewpoints.
Mediating and Negotiating
In the role of a board chairman, Loretan acknowledges the need to act as a mediator and negotiator between different parties. Facilitating discussions, finding common ground, and ultimately making decisions are essential responsibilities. Effective leadership requires striking a balance between individual interests, shareholder interests, and the long-term vision of the company.
Influence and Second Thoughts
Throughout his career, Loretan has sought to exert influence, both as a leader and behind the scenes. He emphasizes the importance of aligning one’s internal thoughts with external actions and long-term vision. Agreement between second thoughts, as former Swiss Secretary of State Edouard Bruner advised Loretan, is crucial for effective leadership.
International Experience and Leadership
Loretan’s international experience as a Swiss ambassador has shaped his leadership style. It has provided him with a global perspective, an understanding of diverse values and viewpoints, and the ability to negotiate with individuals from different cultural backgrounds. This experience has reinforced the importance of finding common ground and respecting minorities, both within Switzerland and on the international stage.
The Future of Media and Public Broadcasting
As the former president of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation, Loretan discusses the challenges faced by public broadcasting in the era of globalization and digital media. He highlights the need to transform traditional broadcasting into a digital society, collaborating with private actors in the industry. The tension between public broadcasting and publishers underscores the importance of finding a win-win approach to serve the public interest.
Challenges for Switzerland
Loretan identifies the challenge for Switzerland to remain open to foreign resources and maintain its successful economic model. The immediate challenge lies in finding a satisfactory solution to the free movement of persons with the European Union. This requires careful negotiation and a commitment to preserving Switzerland’s economic prosperity while respecting the concerns of its citizens.
Leadership in politics and on boards demands a diverse skill set, including independence, effective communication, negotiation, and the ability to balance competing interests.
Ambassador Raymond Loretan’s insights provide valuable guidance for aspiring leaders in navigating the complexities of these domains. By embracing a holistic approach, aligning internal and external thoughts, and respecting diverse viewpoints, leaders can make informed decisions that benefit both the majority and minority stakeholders.