Discover how to build unshakable confidence and make better decisions faster with leadership expert Paul Epstein.
In this podcast episode, Paul shares his journey from the sports world to becoming a leadership coach.
Learn how to prioritize standards over goals, develop a mindset of confidence and humility, and use the head-heart-hands equation to make effective decisions.
Don’t miss out on Paul’s free confidence quiz to assess and improve your own confidence levels. Visit https://www.paulepsteinspeaks.com/confidence-quiz for more information.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Discover the difference between being goal-driven and being standards-driven, and how focusing on standards can lead to better results.
- Learn about the head-heart-hands equation for making better decisions faster, and how to navigate the yellow light of decision-making.
- Discover the impact of culture on decision-making and how creating a warm environment can lead to better outcomes.
- Understand the best ‘next practices’ to build confidence
“Confidence is our oxygen. Confidence is our fuel.” – Paul Epstein
00:48 – Paul highlights his experience working with top performers in the sports world and how it translates to leadership in the front office.
03:25 – Paul shares how he coached his team at the San Francisco 49ers through the same process of self-discovery and personal transformation.
04:06 – Paul explains the concept of being driven by standards rather than goals and how it affects leaders.
07:41 – Dr. Katrina asks Paul Epstein what he would master in his life, and he responds with decision-making.
11:02 – Paul Epstein introduces the head, heart, hands equation for decision-making.
15:00 – Paul Epstein shares a real-life example of the negative impact of ignoring yellow lights in decision-making.
17:32 – Paul Epstein explains the importance of creating a warm culture and managing toxic behavior.
19:02 – Paul Epstein explains how his book, “Better Decisions Faster,” creates a language for healthy decision-making conversations.
24:39 – Paul Epstein shares where people can find him and offers a confidence quiz as a gift to the audience.
Connect with Paul Epstein:
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/paulepsteinspeaks/
More Impactful Episodes at https://mkbconseil.ch/eil-podcast/
Connect with Katrina Burrus:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/katrinaburrus/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katrina.burrus
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/katrinaburrus?lang=en
Problems of an international leader answered in this episode:
In this episode, the leadership problems tackled include:
- Leader’s lack of confidence: The guest, Paul Epstein, discusses how confidence is a crucial leadership trait and shares his journey of becoming more confident through understanding his values and aligning them with his actions.
- Ineffective Decision-making: Paul Epstein emphasizes the importance of making better decisions faster. He discusses decision fatigue, overwhelm, and indecision as common challenges faced by leaders. He introduces the “head-heart-hands equation” as a framework for making decisions and overcoming self-doubt, stress, and anxiety.
- Toxic leadership and team dynamics: Paul Epstein shares his experience dealing with toxic individuals in a team and the negative impact it can have on the overall culture. He emphasizes the importance of creating a warm and inclusive environment and making decisions based on the intensity of conviction rather than just the outcome.
Overall, the episode focuses on building confidence, improving decision-making skills, and fostering a positive team culture.
Unleashing Leadership Confidence: Insights from Paul Epstein
In a recent episode of the Excellent International Leadership Podcast, Dr. Katrina Burrus interviewed Paul Epstein, a former NFL and NBA executive turned leadership expert.
With his extensive experience in the sports industry, Epstein shares valuable insights on building trust, cultivating confidence, and creating a culture of excellence.
We will explore key takeaways from the episode, including the “Head-Heart-Hands” formula for better decision-making and the importance of balancing confidence and humility in leadership.
From Athletes to Leaders: Translating Top Performance
Epstein’s background in the professional sports world exposed him to the highest performers and achievers in their respective fields. He emphasizes that the mindset, commitment to excellence, and standards of elite athletes can be translated to the front office. By adopting the same principles and practices, leaders can elevate their own performance and inspire their teams to reach new heights.
The Head-Heart-Hands Formula: Making Better Decisions Faster
Epstein introduces the “Head-Heart-Hands” equation as a framework for effective decision-making. He emphasizes that decisions should not be solely driven by logic or emotions but should consider both aspects. By aligning the head (mindset) and heart (authenticity), leaders can confidently take action. The intensity of conviction also plays a crucial role in determining the best course of action.
Confidence and Humility: The Power Duo
Confidence and humility are two essential qualities for exceptional leadership. Epstein highlights that leaders must strike a balance between the two, as too much confidence without humility can lead to ego-driven cultures, while too much humility without confidence may result in a lack of followership. By cultivating both qualities, leaders can inspire trust, foster growth, and create authentic connections with their teams.
Overcoming Decision Fatigue and Indecision
Epstein acknowledges that decision fatigue, overwhelm, and indecision can hinder leadership effectiveness. He encourages leaders to tap into their hearts and embrace imperfect action. By focusing on the process rather than solely on outcomes, leaders can overcome self-doubt, stress, and anxiety associated with making big decisions. The “Head-Heart-Hands” formula provides a structured approach to navigating the complexities of decision-making.
Paul Epstein’s journey from the sports industry to leadership expertise offers valuable insights for leaders seeking to enhance their performance and create a culture of excellence.
By adopting the “Head-Heart-Hands” formula, leaders can make better decisions faster, balance confidence and humility, and overcome decision fatigue. Epstein’s emphasis on aligning mindset, authenticity, and action provides a powerful framework for leadership success.
To learn more about Epstein’s work and assess your own confidence, visit PaulEpsteinSpeaks.com and take the confidence quiz.