One of the Most Powerful Auctioneer
Who is DAVID BENNETT
David Bennett is regarded internationally as an authority in the field of precious stones and jewellery. Mr Bennett was named among the top 10 most powerful people in the art world in December 2013 by the international magazine Art + Auction. In June 2014, Swiss financial and business magazine Bilan named him among the top 50 “most influential people in Switzerland”.
An auctioneer for the firm since 1978, Mr Bennett has presided over many record-breaking sales, most notably setting the world record for any Jewellery sale in May 2016, achieving a record total of $175.1 million (CHF 171 million) for Sotheby’s sale of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva.
He is known as the “100-carat man” for the sale of seven 100-carat diamonds, each of which established record prices.
Under his leadership, Sotheby’s Geneva has presented jewels of supreme historical importance, among them: the legendary Beau Sancy, once the property of Henry IV of France. David Bennett is co-author, with Daniela Mascetti, of the best-selling reference book Understanding Jewellery – in print since 1989 and co-written Celebrating Jewellery, (2012) published also in French.
Having graduated from university with a degree in philosophy, Mr Bennett continues to give talks in philosophy and related fields, as well as consultations in hermetic astrology.
is a British multinational corporation headquartered in New York City. One of the world’s largest brokers of fine and decorative art, jewelry, real estate, and collectibles, Sotheby’s operation is divided into three segments: auction, finance, and dealer. Sotheby’s is the world’s fourth oldest auction house in continuous operation, with 90 locations in 40 countries.
Questions asked by your host Dr. Katrina Burrus, MCC
- Tell us about your extremely successful career path. How did you start and evolve to your role as Sotheby’s Worldwide Chairman?
- David you have held the gavel in Hong Kong for the world auction record for any gemstone, you also set a record in Geneva for the most valuable pair of earrings ever sold at auction, what is it like, as an auctioneer leading such sales?
- Pull back the curtains for us and give us a peek behind the scenes as to what is involved to get these exceptional jewels?
- How do you view the future for Jewellery auctions?
- Who is the David behind the Bennett you have a degree in philosophy and give consultations in hermetic astrology, tell us more about that?
Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for listening, I am your host Katrina Burrus and I hope this episode has brought your leadership one step closer to excelling.