EEC 053: How to Have an Excellent Year as an ICF President with Humberto Corona
I. What are the main ICF MEXICO achievements during 2015?
In this year we took a new approach:
1. Improving our services to ICF members:
We started this year addressing members’ questions or complains and proactively provide information on our services.
· Business partnerships also started this year, our members can now receive discounts from coaching-related service providers such as HOGAN assessments.
· A new referral service is being created. Our members will have their complete bios on-line.
As a result, the Mexico ICF Chapter increased membership by 18%.
2. We also work in Governance. The ICF Mexico Chapter was created officially 4 years ago. In 2015, we worked hard to ensure the Chapter’s continuity and a smooth transition. We developed a strategic direction.
· An ICF Council was formed this year by ICF Mexico ex-presidents and/or recognized members of the Mexican coaching community. This Council provides continuity and strategic direction to the board.
· An ethical committee was also created in 2015.
3. We also looked for alliances. We got closer to institutions that in the past we considered as competitors. In reality, ICF does not compete with any coaching methodology or philosophy. Therefore, we now can organize events in which our allies are present and we have a richer content through this diversity.
4. Finally, in 2015 ICF had a stronger brand presence;
24 Interviews were given for national and international specialized media.
5 Coaching articles were written in specialized magazines.
8 Press releases were written about the Coaching Congress.
We increased our social media presence: twice in Facebook, 3 times in twitter and 4 times in LinkedIn
II. What is happening during your period as a President?
There have been challenges and opportunities:
On one hand, it has been a great satisfaction to contribute to making the coaching community larger and stronger in Mexico. On the other hand, it was not easy. There were some challenges:
· Managing volunteers is different than running institutions in which employees are paid. To motivate volunteers to contribute to ICF when at the same time these young professionals are building their businesses and supporting their families, is tough. I learned that to motivate in this situation is different than with paid employees.
· Another learning was the communication with young people. It is a change which I did not realize at the beginning, young people are looking for speed. We can not wait for a quite time to answer their request, they are expecting an e-mail answer as a chat.
· What I would also coach much more to solve the many problems our ICF society is facing.
III. How was the Congress you organized in October this year?
96% of the attendees thought the event was excellent to very good. We are very happy with these results, especially since the academic content was extraordinary. The variety of content was very good and the networking too.
If we were to do the congress again, we would reduce the number of speakers and leverage more the speakers’ present. It would also improve the financial results. Thank you, Katrina, for being one of our Keynote speakers.
IV. How is the transition process working?
Pretty well, there are two presidential candidates and we will have our election meeting on January 21, 2016. We are increasing the time to be a Member of the Board from 1 to 2 years. This will be voted on.
Who is Humberto Corona?
Humberto is a Biochemical Engineer and holds an MBA. He studied coaching in the College of Executive coaching at the Coaching Training Institute.
He has 30 years of experience as an executive leader at Warner Lambert, Quaker Oats, and PepsiCo.
He coaches at companies such as PepsiCo, Mattel, Unilever, Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey and others.
Humberto has been working for the International Coaching Federation since 2012. He is now President of the ICF Mexico Chapter until January 2016.
Excellent Executive Coaching Podcasts
MKB Excellent Executive Coaching, who sponsored this podcast, helps you get from where you are to where you want to be with customized leadership and coaching development programs. MKB Excellent Executive Coaching offers leadership development programs to generate action, learning, and change that is aligned with your authentic self and values. Transform your dreams into reality and invest in yourself with coaching programs to reach your goals.