Are you ready to unlock the secrets of success from a leader who has conquered the art world?
Join us as we dive into the fascinating journey of Caroline Lang, Chairman of Sotheby’s Switzerland.
Caroline Lang is internationally recognized for her in-depth knowledge of the art market and her longstanding expertise in Impressionist, Modern, and Contemporary art.
Appointed Chairman of the Swiss Department of Impressionist, Modern & Contemporary Art in 2012, this consummate polyglot has advised some of the most important collectors in Switzerland and worldwide.
Discover the out-of-the-box thinking and global perspective that has propelled her to the top of her field.
Get ready to be inspired and take your leadership to the next level!
Why you have to check out today’s podcast:
- Learn how to be an out-of-the-box thinker and understand the needs of people within and outside of the organization.
- Understand the changes in the art business since the year 2000, including the impact of the internet and globalization.
- Discover the importance of seizing opportunities and serving the wave of change.
“Every change brings great opportunity.” – Caroline Lang
- 00:01 – What has made you successful as a leader? The key factors that have contributed to Caroline’s success as a leader.
- 02:09 – What has made Caroline successful in her career? Caroline shares her career journey, starting with her decision to pursue an internship at Sotheby’s at the age of 18.
- 03:28 – Changes in the art business today Caroline on the significant changes that have occurred in the art business since the year 2000.
- 04:07 – Caroline’s biggest failure and what she learned from it
- 05:21 – Caroline’s biggest “aha” moment in life. Caroline recounts a significant moment in her life when she lost her father and took her first auction in the Impressionist and Modern Art fields in London.
- “I think having worked in eight different positions within the company and between different countries has definitely helped for a greater understanding and seeing a bigger picture.”
- “I’m kind of an out-of-the-box thinker and understand the needs of people within and outside of the organization pretty well.”
- “All you need to do is keep on going and learn from your failures.”
- “Every change brings great opportunity.”
Connect with Caroline Lang
- Email: email@example.com
More Impactful Episodes at https://mkbconseil.ch/eil-podcast/
Connect with Katrina Burrus:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/katrinaburrus/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katrina.burrus
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/katrinaburrus?lang=en
Note: This article is based on the insights and perspectives shared by Caroline Lang in the Excellent International Leadership podcast episode. All quotes and ideas are directly sourced from the transcript of the episode.
Top problems of an international leader answered in this episode:
- Dealing with constant change and unpredictability in the industry.
- Managing and understanding the needs of people within and outside of the organization.
- Navigating the challenges of a global market and increased competition.
- Adapting to the impact of technology, such as the internet and increased transparency in pricing.
- Balancing personal and professional life, especially when faced with major life events or changes.
- Learning from failures and maintaining resilience in the face of setbacks.
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients and collectors from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Managing and leading teams across different countries and understanding the cultural nuances of each location.
Caroline Lang: A Leader in the Art World, From Intern to Co-Chair: A Journey in the Art World”
Caroline Lang, co-chair of Sotheby’s Switzerland and Swiss chair of the Impressionist Modern and Contemporary Art, is a successful leader in the art world. With her passion for art, strong nerves, and perseverance, she has achieved great success in her career. In this article, we will explore Caroline’s journey, her leadership qualities, and the changes she has witnessed in the art business.
Caroline’s journey in the art world began at a young age when she decided to pursue a career at Sotheby’s instead of continuing her studies. Starting as an intern, she quickly rose through the ranks due to her strong nerves and perseverance. Despite unexpected challenges, such as taking on the responsibilities of her colleagues who suffered setbacks, Caroline always kept the best interests of her clients at heart. This dedication and determination have been key factors in her success.
Exceptional Leadership Qualities
Caroline’s success as a leader can be attributed to her diverse experience within the company and across different countries. Having worked in eight different positions, she has gained a greater understanding and a broader perspective of the art business. Additionally, Caroline’s out-of-the-box thinking and ability to understand the needs of people within and outside the organization have contributed to her effectiveness as a leader. Her leadership style is characterized by empathy, adaptability, and a focus on building strong relationships with clients.
Changes in the Art Business, Adapting to changes in the global market
Caroline has witnessed significant changes in the art business since the year 2000. The advent of the Internet has brought about greater transparency in pricing, allowing buyers and sellers to access information more easily. The opening of borders and the proliferation of art fairs and museum shows have made the market truly global. These changes have presented both opportunities and challenges for professionals in the art world, requiring them to adapt and stay ahead of the curve.
Dealing with failure and learning from it
Caroline’s biggest failure early in her career taught her the importance of resilience and learning from mistakes. Despite falling ill during a crucial business trip, she realized that setbacks should not deter her from pursuing her goals. This experience taught her the value of perseverance and the need to keep moving forward, even in the face of adversity.
Keeping up with the demands of a dynamic and unpredictable industry as an international leader
Caroline Lang’s journey in the art world is a testament to her leadership skills and passion for her profession. Through her diverse experience, out-of-the-box thinking, and understanding of people’s needs, she has achieved great success as a leader. The art business has undergone significant changes, and Caroline has embraced these changes, leveraging them as opportunities for growth. Her ability to learn from failure and maintain a positive mindset has been instrumental in her continued success. Caroline Lang is truly a leader in the art world, inspiring others with her dedication, resilience, and passion for art.